I have lifted weights and done workouts with other resistance equipment about 50 years. Last 20 of them my gym has been at home, where I have all the most important tools for muscle and cardio training.
Just now (August 2018) this is a review of my workouts at home.
Day 1. Full body weight workout (no core)
Day 2. Low steady state aerobic workout
Day 3. HIIT, core and posture workout
Day 4. Rest (no workout at all)
Day 5. Full body weight workout (no core) etc.
Full body weight workout
First, I do a light dynamic stretching, Pilates and high rollouts.
I train with straight sets. In the other words, I do one warm up set (10-20 reps) and three maximal sets (4-12 reps) the first exercise and then continue with other exercises.
1. Dumbbell Bench Press: rest between the maximal sets two minutes
2. Seated Military Press: rest between the maximal sets one minute
3. Lying French Press: rest between the maximal sets one minute
4. Lat Pull Down: I use my Total Gym 1000 with a barbell as an additional resistance – rest between the maximal sets two minutes
5. Barbell Biceps Curl: rest between the maximal sets one minute
6. Goblet Squat: rest between the maximal sets two minutes
7. Standing Dumbbell Calf Raise: rest between the maximal sets one minute
My cool-down consists again on a light static stretching and rollouts with Pilates Foam Roller and High Roller.
On the fifth day I’ll change the exercise order: 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 1 – 2 – 3 and try to do at least one more rep in each sets.
On the ninth day the exercise order is: 6 – 7 – 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5.
Low Steady State Cardio Workout
I do this workout as walking or biking 60-90 minutes at 60-70 percentage of my maximal pulse.
HIIT, Core and Posture workout
HIIT Cardio Workout
HIIT means High Intensity Interval Training. I do it with an elliptical trainer. After a two-minute warm-up with light level, I take a fast 30 seconds spurt, then rest 2 minutes and perform the same again several times (just now four times).
My dynamic stretching takes a couple of minutes. It consists of:
- 10 big circles forward with straight arms
- 10 big circles backward with straight arms
- 10 circles forward with bending arms, fingers on shoulders
- 10 circles backward with bending arms, fingers on shoulders
- 10 arm swings at shoulder level, left and right
- 10 body circles left with hands on hips
- 10 body circles right with hands on hips
- 10 upper body bending down
- arms and feet shaking
I train my abs with six different exercises. I do them as two rounds supersets and so many high quality (continuous tension) reps as possible.